Serving Up Time, Talent & Treasure: Sara Hewitt
The USTA Florida Section Foundation is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors with a wealth of experience, tremendous passion for sharing the love of tennis, and a big heart for helping people across the state. Get to know them a little better and learn what moves them to dedicate their time, talents and financial support to changing lives within Florida.
Who: Sara Hewitt
Incoming Board Position: Director
What drew you to continue your time as a USTA Florida Foundation board member?
- I wanted to support initiatives that resonate with me,
- Being apart of the USTA Florida Foundation Board makes me better at my job in tennis,
- Meaningfully contribute to serving the USTA Florida Foundation and its mission,
- I am a dedicated and committed to growing the game of tennis,
- From a very young age tennis has changed my life in so many positive ways. I learned so much about life on the court and it helped me grow into the person I am today,
- I want to help to advance the Foundations mission.
- I want to work with likeminded individuals to make tennis better for all and I care about the future of the game for all to enjoy.
Who has inspired you in your life?
I find inspiration in a variety of people and things but especially my Dad. My Dad got all of us involved in tennis. My Dad played college tennis and played well into his 90’s.
What about USTA Florida Foundation’s mission and work really motivates you?
Changing lives through tennis. Tennis has changed my life in so many ways. Tennis improves your health, your wellbeing, and overall quality of life. You meet new friends who are with you for a lifetime.
What do you want to accomplish in your next two years on the Foundation Board of Directors?
Grow the game for all to enjoy! To make sure we have the adequate financial resources to help change lives through tennis – and to not only achieve the Foundations mission but to surpass it. To ensure the Foundations prosperity.
If you had one extra hour of free time in a day how would you use it?
I would spend an extra hour learning to master a new skill. I am a great proponent of education and always want to learn new things. I would play more tennis. I would reflect on my life and be grateful for the opportunities and the people who I have met and who have supported me along the way.
Would you rather have a rewind button or a pause button on your life?
I would push the pause button, recite, and think about the Arthur Ashe quote: Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can. This quote always resonates with me.
If you could visit any place in the world where would it be and why?
Wimbledon for the full 2 weeks. It’s where the game of tennis began.
Would you rather be without internet for a week or without your phone?
Without the Internet. I’ll keep my phone and use all of the technology it offers.